The Smoke Signal, MSJ's Official Newspaper

Opinion

Student Voices: Amy Coney Barrett’s Supreme Court Confirmation

In late October, Amy Coney Barrett was confirmed to take the place of the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg in the Supreme Court. Do you agree with the decision to confirm Barrett?

“Well, it mostly depends on whether you’re looking at it on a legal basis or an ethical basis. Legally, I agree because there’s nothing that’s preventing them from doing so. But ethically, probably not, because Justice Ginsburg already made it clear that she wanted a new President to be sworn to the presidency before a new Justice was nominated. And personally, there’s a time where rules come before politics, but it seems like this is more of a politically charged combination than usual.” — Andrew Liang, 10

“Actually I do agree with the decision because, since it’s during Trump’s presidential term, he has the right to confirm Barrett to the Supreme Court. The only reason I would say it was unfair is because, in March of 2016, President Obama tried to confirm Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court. [But] Senator Mitch McConnell said it was a null confirmation because the 2016 election was coming up fast. But this year, in 2020, Mitch McConnell approved Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court. So, I just think that’s a little unfair.” — Daniel Bielin, 11

“I do not agree with the decision to confirm Barrett because her confirmation is a step backwards for American women—Black/Brown women and all other WOC—and LGBTQ+ folks. She has very openly spoken out against abortion and LGBT rights and can’t even justify that with her judging experience … Her very confirmation is an emblem of conservative hypocrisy and reflective of the divide between the two party system.” — Sanah Bhardwaj, 9

“I completely disagree with her confirmation—it was extremely rushed and the hypocrisy of Senate Republicans considering how they blocked Merrick Garland is disgusting. Also, Barrett has only been a judge for a few years and her unwillingness to share her views on cases and topics she was asked about during the confirmation hearing made it evident that she sees even the most basic of human rights issues as a matter of opinion.” — Hasika Sridhar, 12

In your opinion, what are the implications of adding Barrett to the Supreme Court?

“Her position threatens thousands of people who are in need and support of the healthcare system, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, doesn’t hold views (or actions) on the climate change issue, and will hurt feminism and the feminist community on issues revolving reproductory rights and abortion. Furthermore, in her previous cases, she allowed discrimination in workplaces, guns given to ex-criminals and people with a rap sheet, didn’t prevent sexual assaults from happening in a school campus, and will break many communities up because of her conservative views and her “following” of the Constitution, which was written by white men who objected many communities we see today.” — Kevin Huang, 12

“In my opinion, with the addition of Barrett, the Supreme Court is likely to take a very conservative turn as there is a conservative 6-3 majority. Prominent cases like Roe v. Wade are likely to be overturned and overall there may be a very conservative twist in our nation’s justice system. However, the Supreme Court, as a holistic unit, is meant to avoid such biases, but the way things ultimately work out is a mystery. If the Court’s priority shifts from supporting justice to supporting a political party’s views, a lot could change.”—Shubham Pruthi, 11

“Barrett is known for her “originalist” and conservative perspective on the Constitution and the hot-button topics of today. I believe this will spell out nothing but the rolling back of reforms for women and people of color at a time when they are more disadvantaged than ever because of this pandemic. The great strides that we’ve made in civil rights will undoubtedly be impacted which is sobering to hear to say the least.”— Sara Kuang, 11

“From what I’ve heard in the media, Barrett’s views are the exact opposite of her predecessor, Ruth Bader Ginsburg. She has expressed anti-abortion viewpoints and refuses to state her opinions on many topics, such as climate change. By appointing her to the supreme court, I feel as if our country is wishing to push a pro-life agenda onto the U.S.” — Jennie Wang, 10

Cover graphic by Opinion Editor Aria Lakhmani