Back to the Future Freshmen Review

Check out some other articles you might like!

New Faculty Online Extension By Feature Editor Kikue Higuchi, A&E Editors Stephanie Dutra and Shray Vaidya, and Staff Writer Christine Dong MSJ wel...
Special Coverage — Gender and Sexuality: Personal ... As part of the second installment of the our Identity special series, the Smoke Signal covered gender and sexuality at MSJ. This online extension incl...
MSJ Alumni Web Extension By Staff Writers Amy Chen, Katherine Guo, Jonathan Ko, Julia Park & Vicki Xu Questions: Describe your journey from the end of high school ...

24 Comments on "Back to the Future Freshmen Review"

1. If only all of the upperclassmen hadn’t screamed straight through the freshman’s skit. Totally disrespectful. It’s cool to cheer for your own class when appropriate, but once you start taking focus away from the class-of-the-day, you’re being a jerk. Anyway, I can’t wait to see what 2015 will bring next year! 🙂

2. this review was incredibly difficult to comprehend… next time try not to be clever and just put forward the information in a way that is relevant and understandable (perhaps something the freshmen should have done with their skit)

3. there’s only one of the airbands isn’t mentioned ata ll.

4. one of the airbands isn’t mentioned at all*

• Captain Obvious | October 18, 2011 at 8:34 am | Reply

THAT’S BECAUSE THEY WERE ALL THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE ONLY DISTINGUISHING FACTOR WAS THE…….NOTHING!!! THERE WERE NONE! THEY WERE ALL THE SAME! herpderp

5. Sarah Limestone Cardboard Carver | October 17, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Reply

Okay pls, Miss Pickle you must understand that we’re supposed to scream throughout the skit because that’s how we show SPIRIT. We (juniors) never took the focus away from the skit, we actually allowed attention to remain on the freshmen during all the slow and awk moments where people were beginning to roll their eyes and sigh. We know how hard it is, performing up there and trying to have everything together and solid, so we did everything in our power to be there for the frosh. We kept the spirit going, and we lent them megaphones, and we subtly covered up awkward moments by cheering, clapping, singing along, and just going wild so everything would run smoothly.
    And PS, amazing review, super clever and witty! LOL i always love the hc reviews and how you incorporate that tinge of humor and sharpeness in your writing. hooray for brangelina! :)))

6. For future reference, I think four hip hop airbands is okay if they have at least 4 or 5 more airbands with different styles (jazz, tahitian, ballroom, bboy, contemporary, etc.)

Their airbands were really long, but I really do give them credit for putting the effort into it. However, I did feel that they spread themselves a little too thin. It got kind of uncoordinated during certain parts and some of the dancers looked like they were nervous. They should shorten the airbands and really focus on putting more energy when executing it. I thought the Chinese dance was really unique.

Also a few of the voice actors seemed really out of character, especially the freshman one.

7. FREE WOOBAM!!!!

8. Who gives other classes the right to “review” homecoming skits. This article is showing that seniors and upperclassmen have the right to critique another class’s homecoming performance. This act of critique implies that upperclassmen are better than sophomores and freshmen. How can a newspaper that prides itself on representing Mission as a whole do this?? By having students write reviews for homecoming, the smoke signal is subjecting our treasured class competitions to considerable bias.

“*Snore* Oh! Woah! What? It’s over??”

<this skit took a lot of hardwork and effort to make, we are supposed to be judged by judges, NOT by a bunch of upperclassmen (Who are supposed to be making an unbiased school newspaper!!!)

It is not so much the content that is aggravating but the fact that bias and "upperclassmen superiority" is being injected into a source that was previously trusted as friendly and neutral. Although not as upfront, THIS IS a form of class harassment and should be pulled off of the site immediately. I am extremely offended and will complain to Mrs. Cohen about this.

• Why do morons always feel the need to take something that is obviously tongue-in-cheek on an online STUDENT-RUN website this seriously?

And you completely missed the point, the JUDGES judge you on the final outcome. The students in smoke signal are merely here to provide their own feedback.

“By having students write reviews for homecoming, the smoke signal is subjecting our treasured class competitions to considerable bias.”

Let me rephrase that for you “By having students write reviews on practically anything, which will have no bearing on the official outcome, somehow our class competitions will be critiqued with too much bias?” Uh what?

• Anonymous Senior | October 18, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Reply

Once again, your response here completely disregards the fact that this was a review. Once again, a REVIEW.

It seems to me that the authors of this piece took every effort to praise the Freshmen, but the fact remains that the Freshmen were NOT very well organized and that their performance DID have some flaws.

Rather than complaining about how this internet article did not create an adequate fabrication of praise, you should consider how the Freshman can benefit from constructive criticism and improve their future performances.

• Nameinsertedhere | October 18, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Reply

Is this by chance a freshman class officer?

• what the…how is it possible to have -14 thumbs up LOL
      the world is revolving in strange ways.

9. The freshmen worked hard and managed to do an almost OK job despite the technical difficulties…cut them some slack and stop hating on them.

Actually, even though spirit/cheering is a good idea, it’s NOT a great idea to cheer during the whole thing, which may be why the skit was confusing.

no one could hear a single word.

10. That much cheering is there at every homecoming; it’s normal and expected during the skit.
    I think they didn’t even press the button on the megaphone.

11. Honestly, the freshmen skit was confusing even if you factor in the cheering. The plot was go in time machine, watch the 1976 game an retreive the spirit something (forgot what it was), and come back to win the present homecoming game. Truthfully, it lacked any hype. It’s ok though for a first time homecoming, freshmen still got three more to go!